15 January 2008

I *HEART* Trees

Happy Tree Day to everyone!!! Did you know Today is Arbor Day, an international holiday to celebrate and encourage people to plant trees?
I just love trees! At my parents home we have gigantic pine trees growing all around the house and neighborhood. One is right in front of my bedroom window. I watched it grow from year to year, and now it reaches above the third floor of our house. As it grows taller its branches spread so far that when I open my window in the attic I can touch the tips of that pine tree. I cannot say how many times I watched this tree and all the life it has and gives. It makes me laugh when I see squirrels chasing each other from branch to branch, it makes me listen in awe when hear a bird sing its beautiful song, it makes me happy when I can observe baby birds' first attempt to fly.
I cannot imagine a world without trees, look at what we would be missing out:



Isn't it wonderful that Malta is part of the countries that celebrate Arbor Day, through initiatives such as the Tree For You campaign! With all the support of groups, companies and individuals "little forest" are growing everywhere across Malta and the island is becoming greener and greener. I feel very humbled that I can be part of it and document this exciting process.
Between christmas and New Year I was invited by the Ministry for Rural Affairs and the Environment to join in at a tree planting session at Ta' Qali.

First i had a look around and I thought this made a nice scene:


Then I was off to see the olive trees that have been planted in the area.


Everyone can become a sponsor. Just check out the 4Ugifts. (click on link) It' so easy to take part!
Red bows during the "Istrina" Fund Raising. Thank you Robert & Sarah!

Then it was time to meet the Minister, George Pullicino... and his time to shake hands with the little tree planters.

Some fun instructions before the start


Alright, some last questions?

Let's go!


Do you need help?

Click the image to see it in big. This little girl really knows what she wants and is instructing how to do it the proper way. According to the Minister she will either become a lawyer or a minister herself ;-)

Hey, teamwork ain't that bad after all!



Good Job!
More tree planting activities are coming your way. Hope to see you there!
Special thanks to the Ministry and Glenn Bugeja!

No comments: